The NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home (PPOTH) course is an intermediate-level shooting course on using a firearm for self-defense. (This course is not an introductory shooting course and requires advanced shooting skills). It needs students to have already mastered safe gun handling and basic marksmanship skills before attending the course.
Any student may elect to take level 1 only, level 2 combined, or level 1 now and level 2 at a future date.
- Level 1 (Basic) takes nine hours and includes Lessons I-VI, Lesson VIII, and Lesson IX, consisting of a student examination. Level 1 offers the essential knowledge and skills that the student must master to carry, store, and use a firearm safely and effectively for personnel protection outside the home. After this course, the student will receive a certificate for completing the NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside the Home Course.
- Level 2 (Advanced) includes an additional five hours of instruction covered in Lesson VII. The cost is an extra 150 Dollars. This Level 2 instruction consists entirely of the shooting exercises detailed in Lesson VII. Students wanting to acquire a complete range of shooting skills may decide to choose this advanced Level.
- Suppose a student decides to take both Level 1 and Level 2. The lessons in numerical order will be presented, with the student examination held after Level 2.
- Students Who have already completed Level I can take Level 2 as an additional five-hour add-on course. (Because Level 2 consists entirely of the shooting exercises detailed in Lesson VII, no written examination will be given until after this course when taken as an add-on.)
- Upon completing the Level 2 (Advanced) course, the student will receive a certificate to complete the NRA Advance Personal Protection Outside The Home Course.
To maximize learning from this course, students must be experienced shooters (mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the gun).
Validation (Must meet the criteria described in PPITH Document)
- Pistol (Semi-Auto or Revolver)
- Caliber (.22 cal or above) (9mm/.38 cal recommended)
- Strong Side Holster
- Pistol Purse (Optional, bring if you have one)
- Fanny Pack (Optional, bring if you have one)
- Two magazines for Semi-Auto
- Two Speedloaders for Revolver
- Ammunition: No reloads or Personal Protection ammo
- (FMJ/Range) 98 Cartridges, minimum, (200 recommended)
- Eye Protection
- Ear Protection (recommend electronically)
- Hat (recommend bringing a hat to protect your head from Sun)