NRA’s Basic Personal Protection In The Home (PPITH) course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law. Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun to protect oneself and family and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense. (This course is much more than just an introductory pistol course leading up to the intermediate level).
- To maximize learning from this course, students must be experienced shooters (mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the gun).
- Validation (Must meet the criteria described in PPITH Document)
- Pistol (Semi-Auto or Revolver)
- Caliber (.22 cal or above) (9mm/.38 cal recommended)
- Two magazines for Semi-Auto
- Two Speedloaders for Revolver
- Ammunition: No reloads or Personal Protection ammo
- (FMJ/Range) 98 Cartridges, minimum, (200 recommended)
- Eye Protection
- Ear Protection (recommend electronically)
- Hat (recommend bringing a hat to protect your head from Sun)